1980 Flying Season.
The aircraft was based at Cranfield, traveling there from Leavesden after
painting.  Displays covered included:

YEOVILTON.        DUBBLIN.                   ALCONBURY.      COVENTRY.

Pilot for all displays except Dunsfold - Stephan.(Adrian Gjerson did
Dunsfold). Last display  13/9/80 aircraft returned to Cranfield.
Hours Flown: 21.

Inboard drop tanks and pylons were fitted on 22nd August 1980 to extend
range for overseas displays.
History of the Museum's
Hawker Hunter FMk51
The following is an accounting of the Museum's G-Hunt E-418,
from the personal scrapbook of
Eric Hayword, the Aircraft Engineer who
oversaw the work at
Hawker Aircraft in Dunsfold, UK in 1956.  
It was also the first
Hunter on the British register, and one of the first
to start the jet warbird movement in the UK.
Mr. Hayward's Scrapbook and photos were generously provided by Alan Allen.
Mr. Hayword passed away in 2011.
The Story of G-Hunt, (or, you can do anything if you try)
by Eric Hayword

“My first introduction to the Danish Hunters, was when working
Dunsfold in 1956.  Having started work there in 1953 for
Hawker Aircraft we were building Hunter for many world Air Forces, and in
1956 the first
Danish Mk 51 aircraft started to come through.  I was an
Inspector on the Erection Floor, and remember the Danish ones because the
final paint finish was perhaps the best ever supplied on a camouflage aircraft, a
spec DTD 900 infra-red finish.  
I have no detailed or individual information on any of these aircraft
at this time, they were Serial numbered 401 to 430. (30  Aircraft)”
Aircraft Serial No. 418 (which was later to become G-Hunt) arrived at
Dunsfold during March 1956, and had been produced at the Kingston and
factories of Hawker Aircraft.  It was assembled and ground tested at
Dunsfold, and on April 19th took to the air for the first time, (Pilot: David
Having completed the flight test program, the aircraft was painted,
final inspection carried out, and delivered to the
Danish Air Force
on 22nd June 1956, having flown 3hrs 15mins on test flights.
During 1973/74 the Hunter fleet was withdrawn from service with the Danish
Air Force and placed in storage.   E 418 had flown 3573.20 hrs. On 21st
October 1975, I was sent be Hawkers to Aalborg in Denmark to inspect the
Hunters to decide if Hawkers would repurchase for spares, as a result of this
visit the aircraft were transported back by road to the aerodrome at Dunsfold
(a return to their birthplace), loosely assembled and stored in outside dispersal
areas. (13 Mk 51’s and 4 Mk 7’s).
By early 1978 all the usable spares were in stores and it was decided to give
the airframes to Museums, etc., and E 418 was offered to Elstree and accepted.
Just prior to Dunsfold Open Day 1978 I was contacted by
Bob Coles who
said he wanted me to meet Spencer Flack who wanted to get E 418 flying and
on ‘Permit to Fly’, with some doubts I came to the Open Day, met
for the first time, had a flight in his T 20 Sea Fury, and agreed to cooperate and
assist in what  I initially thought was an impossible task.

Sometime after entry into
Danish Air Force service the allover paint finish
was changed to drab khaki green.  The following pictures are of ‘418’ now
known as
‘E 418’ in service with the Danish Air Force.
Dunsfold Open Day 17th
June 1978, Spencer &
myself, Sea Fury T20 VX
281, -9-64, D-CACO,
ES 3615.  20 min, flight.
E 418 was transported to
Elstree, where we will do all
the work, and loosely
assembled outside the
hangar, (a sorry sight).
First surveys were started
July 1978 and I met
for the first time.
Striped clean
and read for assembly.
“No, I think that bit’s off the
motor bike”
Les and myself,
(We got the Engine from an
Bill Final, (the best
electrician I know),
Tony Letts and Bob Coles.
“I tell you the drawings
are wrong”
during ferry,
a great mate.
Bill and Kev, “It must be
here somewhere”
“I’m sure it will fit if we all
push hard”
Work had been going on from July 1978 until March 1980, the airframe
stripped, cleaned and overhauled, an engine obtained, and through the
assistance of our Rolls Rep John Williamson, the engine has been run on
British Airways Test cell at LAP, All wing fuel tanks were changed due to
leaks, all systems functioned and a ground run carried out, It had been decided
to fly it out of Elstree!!!!, as the runway length was marginal we had to have a
strong East wind dead on the runway and low air temperature, with just fuel in
the front tanks and no drop tanks or pylons fitted then the margins were OK,
but, once started there was no stopping, so we had to have it right.  These
conditions came in the late afternoon of Thursday, March 20th 1980, and after
the usual last minute panics of a first flight and with the co-operation of our
very helpful CAA man (Colin Turner from Hatfield) who I think crossed his
fingers after issuing the “Permit to Fly’ we were out on the runway in a biting
East wind as dusk was falling.
Stephen Farwowski, our pilot carried out a short taxi test, was pushed out of o
ur sight over the hill right to the end of the runway by the Range Rover, and
we visited, He came roaring over the hump down the hill and was easily
airborne to clear the oak trees at the end of the runway, gear up and round the
downwind leg then in for a low run and victory roll, on first flight.  He then
flew direct to Cranfield where we based for test flying. (Takeoff 1910Hrs)

This day we claim the following firsts:
1.  First pure Military jet aircraft to fly out of Elstree.
2.  First privately owned jet fighter on the British Civil Register.
3.  First privately owned aircraft with operational ejection seat.
4.  Fastest privately owned aircraft on the British Civil Register.
Some of the team

Front Row:  Left to Right:
Spencer Flack, Bob Coles
Philip Boyden (Photos)
Second Row: Left to Right:
AN Other Norman De Veill
Self, Leo Simpson Bill Final
Phil Ralph Stephan
Tomorrow she flies.
        First Flight.   20/3/80  
Throttle open, down the hill.
Lift off, and out.
Beat-up, first flight.
Flight test operations from
Cranfoeld.  21st March 1980.
Pilot: Stephan,
3 flights: 1Er   57mins
Flight test schedule cleared,
Aircraft ferried to Leavesden
for painting.
After Paint. What a difference.
Tow out from the Paint Shop.

“Bill the ballast”
and “Colin the captain”

“It was 8/8ths at 150 feet,
couldn’t see the runway,
saw the tower, so did a 180,
pulled 9g, rolled out
and landed on the apron”
Special Days in 1980

In July, Spencer received his
Hunter approval and was
cleared to fly G-Hunt.

On 28th July, He and I, and
Stephan went secretly to
Cranfield to fly.

4 flights: 1 Hr 30 min..
The ‘Guvnor’ signs for his
first flight

The ‘Guvnor’ straps in..
4th of July 1980
 The efforts made to restore
the aircraft and put it onto the
Civil Register were frowned
on by British Aerospace (late
Hawker Aircraft)
and the day that it was invited
to attend the Dunsfold ‘Open
Day’ was regarded as a
triumph to the team involved,
and recognition of the existence
of the aircraft.

It flew out to Denmark on the
22nd June 1956, and here flew
back in, 24 years and a few
days later.  For reasons of tact
(Stephan had recently
left after a disagreement).
Adrian Gjerson
flew the aircraft on this day.
Spence, Adrian, and I at Dunsfold.
Departure at Dunsfold, Adrian to follow.
The day however ended with
this, When Adrianarrived at
Leavesden we all pushed the
aircraft into the hangar
over this manhole cover, the
tire burst and only the wheel
spat stopped even more
‘Oh Dear’, at Coventry.
Near Anglesey.
Arrival at Hurn.
‘Spare Engine in 1981.Spare
Engine in 1981.
Early ‘Smoke’ Trials.
A beautiful aircraft.
You need to let everything hang
down to stay near a Seneca.
Airborne out of Leavesden.
Aircraft broken down at Cranfield
At the end of the 1980 season the aircraft went back into Cranfield,
and was broken down during the winter for embodiment three essential
fatigue modifications to the airframe, The engine was also dismantled
and a new Stage 4 Rotor disc fitted, after re-assembly and engine run,
it was ferried to Leavesden on 23rd March 1981 where the Annual
Servicing checks were carried out before renewal of Permit to Fly.
Coming out of Biggin Hill.

Cockpit layout before rework.
1981/82 Annual.
1981 Operating Season
Broken down at the end of the
1981 season, at the Glos-Air
Hangar at Hurn.
Old Hawker Workers and Pilots
4 Tanks on Board
Collision with Seagull while on
display at Belglam
Trouble at Mildenhall
How to split a leg casting!
Disassembled for shipment
to Houston  1987
After Christies’ Auction at Hurn
A/F Hrs at Conversion
1978 = 3,673

A/F Hrs at Sale to USA
1988 = 3,757

Hrs flown
as G-Hunt = 184
Crated and Farewell!
Off to the USA
Reassembled at
“Combat Jets” Hangar
Houston, TX  USA
Houston Team
Ron, Jim, Curns & Mike
Brian, after first flight test
Repainted and ready for Oshkosh  1988
Jim Robinson Taxying
for the first time

First Flight in USA
23rd July, 1988
Reassembled at
“Combat Jets” Hangar
Houston, TX  USA
Stable Coordinates at ‘Combat Jets’
Of Special Interest
Crew Room at ‘Combat Jets’